Monday, October 29, 2007

The lighter side

I was on the couch in the lounge room; he was playing in his room with the boy next door.

‘Oh, M, YOU certainly don’t have Aspergers,’ I heard him say. Pause. ‘I mean, M, you’re NOT Aspergers.’*

Later, I casually asked him why he had said that to M.

‘Because,’ he said, ‘M was reading and when I started talking to him, he stopped reading. He was easily distracted by me. He wasn’t so focused on his book.’**

He’s right, you know.

I think it’s a good sign that he’s working this thing out in his head.


* We tell him he doesn’t HAVE Aspergers; it’s not a disease. He IS Aspergers; it’s a way of thinking.

** We used the example that when he’s focused on reading or Lego, he blocks out the world. He’s in his own world and nothing can get in. That’s a part of it. (I’m like that, too.)

No comments: